It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:17 pm

Is it OK to laugh? 

Post Is it OK to laugh?
Do you guys find yourselves feeling guilty if you go out and have fun? My husbands cousin got married last night and of course Josh and I went to the wedding and reception. I was a little teary eyed during the service, not because his cousin was getting married, but because I will never see my son get married.
Then at the reception, 2 of my sister in laws got me out on the dance floor and I really did enjoy myself (which is the first in a long time). I laughed, smiled and danced a good portion of the night away. Then on the car ride home, I broke down into hysterics and cried uncontrollably because I felt so guilty having fun when my son died just 4 months ago. It kind of hit me all of a sudden "Tyler's gone!"
Do you guys feel guilty having fun? Is this normal? I really do want to try and enjoy life again, but I just fall back on the guilt each time.
Bridget

Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:15 am

Bridget, I think it is normal what you are feeling. I have certainly felt that way. You deserve to have fun now and then, just try to remember that. Big ((((Hugs)))) sweetie!

Jenn

ImageImage

Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:56 am

Bridget, this is totally normal what you are feeling, under a month after losing Thomas all my friends came round to celebrate my birthday and i felt real guilty at having fun without him, its only now 16 months later that i can go out and have fun and not feel guilty.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:18 am
Profile YIM
Site Admin

As Jenn and Kim have said it's totally normal, it took me a long time to even crack a small smile without feeling guilty, and the first time I laughed I was so overwhelmed with guilt, I mean, what right did I have to have fun, my little girl would never get the chance to laugh and I would never see it. I still have trouble now not having feelings of guilt when I'm having a little fun, but not as bad as at first. Sometimes I manage to convince myself that she's smiling down upon us, and others say she wouldn't have wanted me to stay sad, but it's still difficult.....chin up......(((((hugs)))))

ImageImage

Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:10 am
Profile E-mail

Like everyone else said, your feelings are completely normal.
Sometimes a smile, a laugh or having some fun helps.

Take care
Jacqui

Image Image

Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:00 pm