It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 pm

Maternity Leave - Opinions Please!!! 

Post Maternity Leave - Opinions Please!!!
I am at the point where I need to be thinking about maternity leave. Baby is due 1st Jan. Chances of me getting there - who knows. Anyway, i thought about working right up until the birth, only because I want to be able to put as much time towards baby afterwards before I have to come back!
My midwife has said that she thinks I would be better to take 2 to 4 weeks before my due date to myself, as well as arranging all things for baby, she thinks I might need the additional time to ready myself emotionally.
I'm interested to hear what you ladies think and how some of you have dealt with this? I know I need to do right by me and baby, if I could afford it, I would finish work now, its doing my head in!!
I've also had disagreements with my mother in the past about how long to take off, unfortunatly I can only (just) afford 24 weeks off in total, she is not happy that I am returning to work at all, but unless I win lotto, I dont have a choice.

Image Image

ImageImage

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:29 pm
Profile E-mail

oh hard choices to be made hun. Sorry cant offer any suggestions but hoe you find something that works.
Its a buggar we live in a world that makes us need to work rather than be at home with our babies. I am probably lucky I had my son straight from varsity...as never had the luxury of knowing what having more money was like LOL. But boy do it wish we had more too with everything going up.
Take care hun and luck with your decision

ImageImage
http://lynne1.wordpress.com/

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:47 pm

I finished at 28 weeks with Maya as I had SPD which made sitting at a computer all day impossible, but worked up to 34 weeks with the gremlins (3 weeks pre-delivery) and 36 weeks with Chiara (again 3 weeks pre-delivery). I planned to work right up till term with Chiara as I work from home but my boss made me finish at 36 weeks as she said I'd need the time to myself and I'm glad she did coz by 36 weeks I was completely brain fried and over it.

www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mayadavis
www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/gremlins

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:13 pm

Had antenatal clinic today - all good. They are now doing measurements on baby and my tummy for a graph.
I asked them about my leave. They feel that I should be off work from my 28th week. :shock: :shock: They are going to send me out a letter confirming this after they have had a good look through the file. If its best for baby then yes I will do it, but it means I have to come back to work earlier, so baby will be in day care from about 3-4 months old. :cry: :cry: I don't like it.

Image Image

ImageImage

Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:37 pm
Profile E-mail

It will probably be nice to be off in 8weeks, but I can see your concerns.

I would probably hang tight and just see how you are feeling closer to the time. I don't know how flexible your employer is, but if you for-warned them that 28 wks is the soonest, but that you would like to either lessen your hours or work week by week from that point - you may get an extra couple of weeks in dependant on how everythings going. It would be nice to have more time with baby at the other end :)

I hope it all fits into place for you sweet - just don't stress.

The other options is if you do need to go back to work, trying to get the baby into home care (bernados, Pause, etc) with somebody who responds to her well, and doesn't look after a whole lot of other kids, would probably be a good option, cause then you know they are getting the best one on one care, they can get.

Anyway, just a few suggestions :)

Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Thanks Yvonne, I just got off the phone to WINZ - I don't qualify for the Sickness Benefit at all cos DH earns too much. Pardon? $14 ph???? I've paid my taxes for how long now!!!?? We can however get an accommodation supplement of $110 pw and the family tax credit will go up to $142.00 pw. So with me not working we are only short by around $400 a week - NO WORRIES :shock: :shock: :shock:
I am going to ring HR soon and see what they have to say about part time work.
I will take your advise on a more personal level of day care too, I really wanted my mum to do it, but she has not spoken to me since she asked for GG ashes for the weekend and I said no!

Image Image

ImageImage

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:32 pm
Profile E-mail

I wish that I could be of some help here, but alas I cant. I suppose I am one of the "lucky" ones that doesnt have to work as DH and I are both partners in our business and he does all of the manual labour and I do the book work side of it. I hope that you can come to some decision soon about what is best for you and bubs. ((HUGS))

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:22 pm
Profile E-mail WWW