It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:38 am

Sciatica 

Post Sciatica
Good morning ladies!

Well as the EBB is down I thought I would post a question here, in the hopes that one of you can help me a bit. I have been suffering from Sciatica for several weeks now, and have had some physio, which did absolutely nothing to help. It seems to come and go, but can be very severe. Last night I couldn't even put any weight on my left leg, but its much better this morning. I'm a bit worried because I'm barely halfway into my pregnancy and its scary to think that this is going to go on for at least another 20 weeks, and maybe get worse.

Has anyone got the miracle cure for sciatica that I need?

Lizzie

Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:00 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I've had similar pain, there have been times when I found it difficult to walk. I also had it in my pg with Trinity. Last time my midwife said it was probably my si joint and recommended I see a osteopath, which I did and it helped. This time, it has been much worse and she seemed to think it is most likely sciatica and that not alot can be done as it's probably the position of the uterus thats causing it and it will ease, however, I did, with quite a bit of persuasion from mum, go to a chiropractor, who did a gentle (shiver) adjustment, and it has eased quite a bit. I'm not actually a huge fan of chiropractors and mum made sure he was aware of my history and concerns. It's not something I'll be doing regularly, maybe only once or twice more. Sorry about the blurb, hope you find releif, I'll be interested to know if there are any other remedies out there. I feel your pain.....

ImageImage

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:11 am
Profile E-mail

Well I am an osteopath and treat sciatica alot and very successfully in pg women so i'd say see an osteo of course! A cranial osteo can treat you without any sudden movements or forces - it is gentle and very safe at all stages of pg with an experienced cranial osteopath.

I hope that helps. Not good to leave it though as the pain will usuallly get worse as your baby grows.

Where are you? If you like I may be able to PM you the address of a good osteo (we are a small group and tend to know each others training levels etc).

Just ask me! :)

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:59 pm

Thanks for your PM. I've researched but unfortunately i know of no one in your town. That does not mean there is not someone good. I know of a Pilates studio where you are (probably the only one) and if you call them they may have an association with a good cranial osteo... or just ask around.

Sorry to not be able to help more specifically. Things you can ask are - has the osteopath trained for four or five years fulltime? Also have they done post grad study in cranial osteopathy?

Please let me know how you get on.

PS there are good ones in Hamilton and Raglan but too far away probably?

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:08 am

Sounds like you've had some good suggestions Lizzie. I haven't had any personal experience but my best friend had a lot of pain in her tailbone with her last pregnancy and found acupuncture helpful...

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Hadn't thought about Pilate's, is that something you can do in pregnancy? I have also had pregnancy yoga recommended to me, so I might call around and see if it is on offer anywhere local.

Lizzie

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:16 pm
Profile E-mail

How have you got on?

Anything will be better than nothing but you need to make sure the person has worked with lots of pg women before.

The cranial osteopathy will probably the most specific and helpful if you are in pain to get you out of it, then you can maintain it with the pg yoga or pilates.

Cheers,
melanie

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:19 am