It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:00 am

Tips for shifting a posterior baby 

Post Tips for shifting a posterior baby
Hi ladies

Have just had a visit from my m/w who informs me that baby has shifted into a slightly posterior position (its back to my back) :evil: It has always been in the perfect position up until now so I'm really hacked off. I wondered why my back pain had gone and why I was getting kicks on the other side of my belly recently.

I've been banned from sitting on the sofa, so I now have to sit backwards (straddle) on a cold, hard dining room chair in the evenings. :cry: The m/w also suggested pelvic tilting excercises.

I was wondering if any of you had experienced this before and had any good tips to shift the wee bugger back into position? I don't want to give birth to a posterior baby if I can help it!

Lizzie

Wed May 31, 2006 3:53 pm
Profile E-mail

I am pretty sure the other ladies will have better advice for you than me but I thought I'd share my experience with a posterior baby anyway.

I was completely unaware that my second son was posterior until his birth (is it possible he turned at the last minute?) and my mw gave me a homeopathic remedy during the delivery to turn him...it worked really well but the pressure was INTENSE so I can imagine getting bubs to turn before labour would be much more preferable.

Best of luck...there is definitely time for bubs to change position before D-day.

Claire :)

Wed May 31, 2006 4:48 pm

My baby is also posterior at the moment. I have found the pregnancy yoga class I've been going to really helpful. The most confortable position I have found is on hands and knees on the floor, leaning forward over a beanbag (called the child pose in yoga lingo!). The yoga teacher also suggested rocking backwards and fowards on hands and knees.
I think it's working for me as the baby is now facing sideways instead of totally posterior.
I hope this helps! My midwife did reassure me and say that the baby will often turn itself while in labour anyway.

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:43 pm

Maya was posterior too, she turned during labour. Made for quite a long latent first stage, but then she flew out right was up. I did teh beanbag thing that Maria mentioned during the last few weeks, and also spent a lot of time in the water floating on my stomach (tried to get in an hour a day) to give her more room to move.

www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mayadavis
www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/gremlins

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:48 pm