It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:14 pm

Ohhh Manda.... 

Post Ohhh Manda....
Where do you get your knitting patterns from???
I am looking for one for Bayden of a hoodie either zip through or pull on and cant find one anywhere... :( Have just about finished the two that I am doing for him and was thinking :shock: (thats a baadd thing to do :lol: ) that I would like to knit him a hoodie. Patterns and cables are okay, have had experience with those before fairisle (sp) too. Size range 6 - 8 years and any ply wool okay, although it will have to on the thicker side (12 ply) as it gets blardy cold here in winter (frost and fog all day :x )
Thanks for your help in advance. :wink:

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:20 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Weeeellll, I've been meaning to tell you that you should sign up for ravelry, it's sooooo cool and theres bucket loads of free patterns, you can load your needle collection and wool stash and stuff and look at everyone elses stuff, and theres a forum, and and and and and .....otherwise I look on TNN or just search the net. Theres a couple of sites but I need to get the kids bathed at the mo, I'll come back later and add it. But for now go to www.ravelry.com and sign up, it takes about a week to be sent an invite but it's well worth the wait.
bbl

ImageImage

Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:13 pm
Profile E-mail

oh cool!! Thanks so much for that! :wink:

Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:39 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

How are you at adjusting sizes? Theres a few adult size hoodies and heaps of baby/toddler ones on Ravelry, some free, some pay (usually about $5 to download), I'm just about to go to bed, oh my gosh I have so much to do I'm just too tired, :yawn:, anyway, or you could try www.knittingpatterncentral.com or theres lionbrand, you need to sign up to them, free though http://www.lionbrand.com/content-knitti ... Index.html They're where I look for alot of patterns (before I found ravlery though :) that place is evil, very addictive, don't say I didn't warn ya, have you signed up yet, go on, do it, you know you want to :))

ImageImage

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:38 pm
Profile E-mail

hehe have sent away for a invite to ravelry, just have to wait now.Thanks heaps for those links

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:44 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Well Bayden is off school again :roll: Blardy cold!!
So I have printed off some patterns and am off into town to get some more wool!! DH is gonna freak out if he clicks as to how much this will cost :oops:
Hey Manda, check out this pattern
http://www.unicornbooks.com/pattern_Bki ... e-SQL3.asp

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:26 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

OOhh yeah I saw that one but I kept getting pushed over to the old site, it looks good. I'm so jealous you're going to buy some wool (I luff wool ::). Whats your needle stash like? I've got mostly metal needles but I've seen the light on bamboo needles now I need to wait till I get enough cash to get a full set of dpns and circs off ebay so I can sell of my metals.

ANYONE WANT A CAKE :)

Oh, Gabes awake, better go, had my shower though so I'm feeling a lttile better :)

Happy wool buying :)

ImageImage

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:33 am
Profile E-mail

I got HEAPS!!! of needles. Mum used to knit and when she decided that she couldnt do it anymore she passed all of her needles onto me, I just have to keep remembering to look in there before I buy new ones as I now have triple ups on some of them :oops: Love to use the metal needles, but the plastic ones are ok too. I just like the sound of the metal needles clicking together as you go and seeing how fast you can get them to go. I can remember sitting on the couch with Mum when she was knitting and the couch would be shaking she would be going that fast! :shock:
Got some wool today for that hoodie jumper. Went into Spotlight and the lady there was as useless as tits on a bull!! Was no help what so ever, so ended up going to a craft shop in town and the lady there was awesome, so now just have to finish off the last sleeve on the two that I am doing and stitch them up and then I will be onto the hoodie!

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

You should try bamboo needles, niiiccceeee. The wool doesn't slip off them and they're heaps softer.

I hate going to spotlight if I'm not sure what I'm after or if I have to ask for anything, they're pretty uselss at our one too, they should at least employ people that have some knowledge about what thy're working with :roll:

Arrggghhh, Gabes awake again, it seems everytime I sit down to do something HE KNOWS "waaaaaaaaa waaaa waaaaaaaa" gotta go.

ImageImage

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:13 pm
Profile E-mail

have got a major problem!!!!!
I am finishing off a jersey for Bayden and have done the rib for the neck band and guess what??!!!....
It wont fit over his huge melon of a head!!!AARRRGGGHHH!!!!
i dont know what to do, as the rest of it will be a perfect fit through the body, its just that his head wont fit thru the hole!!! It is 12ply wool and the neckband is knitted on 4.5mm needles and the body on 6mm needles, should I undo the neckband and knit it on the 6mm or go up to maybe a 5 to 5.5mm needle and do it on that???
FARK!!!!!

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:51 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Bugger, don't ya hate that? How far have you done? I hate unpicking, but perhaps you could go back (is it done on the round?) and make it like an open neck at the side and put a button on it? or is that a bit naff at his age??? Do you know what I'm on about?

ImageImage

Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:26 am
Profile E-mail

HeHe yep do know what you mean and he would probably beat me up if I did that :lol: Have just spoken to Mum and she recommended unpicking it :angry: and only making it half the number of rows so it wont be one that you fold in half and slipstitch in place IYKWIM? she said if I do it on larger needles that it would be too loose around the neck. Blardy kid and his melon for a noggin!!! Luckily I have only stitched up the two shoulder seams so not too much unpicking there, but I had a bugger of a job picking up the stitches for the neckband as it was, note to self KNIT ITEMS WITHOUT NECKBANDS!!! Still have one more to go so will get it right on this one so I dont stuff up with the next one.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:31 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Oh Oh Oh I know, what about doing it on bigger needles and then threading a few rows with hat elastic (shirring elastic?) so it's really stretchy? Then you can still have a neck band :)

ImageImage

Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:37 am
Profile E-mail

ohh that could work. Will give the old ladies method a try seeing as how I will need to unpick some of it anyway and it that doesnt work I will continue unpicking and give your way a go Manda, thanks for that.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:42 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Well have managed to undo the ribbing on the neckband and have reduced the number of rows, am now waiting for Bayden to get home so I can see if it will fit his noggin!! Have decided to wait and see if that will work before I do the next one, so in the mean time I have started knitting his hoodie!! Yes thats right I now have three jerseys on the go at one time :knit: The wool I am using for the hoodie is called Paton's Jet and has a slight fluffy bit in it and as you knit with it the fluff comes off and gets up your nose so needless to say there has been a few sneezes here ( :rofl: good practice for the pelvic floor muscles I can tell you :rofl: )

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:10 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Carley you crack me up...

I've got Loraleis Pinwheel cardi on the go as well as some fingerless gloves for my nephew, I started a boobie for Lisa but I didn't have the right size needls so I'm going to start again, and I've got 35 items in my Ravelry queue, including another pinwheel in different colours (I also not happy with the mistakes I've made in the one I'm doing :cry: )

ImageImage

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Man are we the opitomy of Multi taskers or what?!!

Well I thought I had the sizing right for Baydens jersey... but it didnt turn out right, but when I did the second one that one worked :? It fitted his head okay :? So will now have to undo the first one again and reduce the number of rows again, probably only needs two more taken off, but still it is a farking hassle!!!! Once i have that done we should be all go! Thankfully the hoodie doesnt have a neckband but I am worried that the hood wont fit his melon??? :?

Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:53 am
Profile E-mail WWW

*does happy dance round forum*
Manda, I got my invite from Ravelry today and am now looking through the patterns. Whats your username on that site?

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:50 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:20 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Yay, I've added you, don'y blame me for losing any knitting time :lol:

ImageImage

Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:31 pm
Profile E-mail

:lol: It looks like it could be a very addictive site :wink:

Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:56 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

am thread jacking here LOL...I joined that site you reccommended to carley.....can't wait to see whats inside.
Can you ladies help me then I am looking for these......would love to know if you have seen this pattern anywhere.The person on EBC that made them gave a web page but for the life of me i cant find them. Think they would look gorgeous on charli with a knitted dress the same person also made.

Attachments:
saylaspants.jpg
saylaspants.jpg [ 37.47 KiB | Viewed 7659 times ]

ImageImage
http://lynne1.wordpress.com/
Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:49 pm
Site Admin

They look like the tiny birds longies, I did a couple of pairs for Loralei.

Here's the link:
http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/organi ... pants.html
But the ones in your pic and the ones I did for Loralei are slightly different. Instead of doing the decreases on the legs, I just knitted straight and then instead of doing a rib cuff at the bottom, to do the flare I increased into every stitch for one row then knitted till it was as frilly as I wanted (about 6 rows).

ImageImage

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Manda need your help with this part if you can
Hood
With RS facing, pick up and K 22 sts along right front neck,
32 sts across back neck and 22 sts along left front neck — 76
sts. Place a marker at the center back neck, between the
38th and 39th st.
Next row (WS ): P4, K1, P66, K1, P4. Continue in st st with
facings as established until piece measures 8½" (9", 9"), ending
with a WS row.
Next row (RS dec row): Work to within 2 sts of marker,
SSK, sl marker, K2tog, work to end.
Rep RS dec row every RS row twice more.
Next row (WS dec row): Work to within 2 sts of market,
P2tog, sl marker, P2tog TBL, work to end.
Work appropriate dec row every row 4 times — 62 sts.
Sl first 31 sts to another needle, fold hood so needle points
are parallel and join top of hood with 3 needle BO.
ABBREVIATIONS
sl......slip
SSK......slip, slip, knit — sl 1 st as if to K; sl another st as if
to K; sl both sts back to LH needle and K them
together TBL.
st st......stockinette stitch
st(s)......stitch(es)
TBL......through back loop
W&T......wrap & turn — Used to prevent holes at the turning
point in short rows. With yarn toward WS, sl
next st to RH needle, bring yarn to RS, sl st
back to LH needle and turn the piece, ready to
work back in the other direction.
WS......wrong side
WYIF......with yarn in front
WYIB......with yarn in

Now the part that I am stumped on is the SSK part. I have underlined the row that I am up to but for the life of me I cant figure out the next bit!! Add to that that I have never done a three needle cast off... this could get interesting and you may be able to hear the swearing up there in Auckland :lol:

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:40 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Bugger, just came in here abd G woke up, let me just feed him and I'll get back to ya. The ssk I can help with, not sure about the 3 needle co,I've done it before but not sure if I can explain.....
bbl

ImageImage

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:08 pm
Profile E-mail