It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 pm

The Compassionate Friends 

Post The Compassionate Friends
This Thursday, I'll be going to a Compassionate Friends meeting for the first time. I don't really know what to expect, but I do know that Daniel and I will be amoungst others who have lost a child. I'm not sure what goes on in the meeting, and I'm a little nervous. I tend to be antisocial these days, but I don't think they'll put me on the spot or anything.

Sigh. Anyone else been to a Compassionate Friends meeting?

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:20 am
Profile E-mail YIM

Post Re: The Compassionate Friends
Hi Jessica,

We have a support group in NZ called SANDS, which is possibly a similar thing. I have found it to be a very comforting group to attend as it kind of validates your feelings and makes you realise that some things and feelings are very normal in the grief process. Its comforting to meet others who have or are feeling similar because they know what you are going through(although I wish nobody had to experience these feelings), which friends and family often don't understand 100%.

I know from a SANDS perspective that they will probably introduce themselves and tell you a little of there situations, and let you speak about yours if you feel up to it. With SANDS there is no pressure to speak or attend until you are ready, but it has been a real lifesaver for me at times, and I will be forever thankful that Sands and TLO were available to me.

I hope it goes well for you sweet :) (((Hugs)))

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:56 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: The Compassionate Friends
We also have compassionate friends here, I live in Invercargill and no regular sands meeting but the compassionate friends meets monthly, I havent got enough grumption to go as yet but it is comforting to know they are there. As far as I know compasssionate friends is not just for those who have, miscarriaged, stillborn but for any lost of a child even in their adulthood. Good luck with it.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:37 pm
Profile YIM