It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 pm

Carley, get ya knitting needles out.... 
Site Admin

Post Carley, get ya knitting needles out....
and anyone else who likes a bit of knitting.

Knit this:

It's it sooo easy to knit and so friggin cute (yet to get a shot of it being modeled), I've done another one in cotton, intend to do a second cotton and have some wool cued up for another wool one (and even more ideas for colour combos that I want to knit).

It's the Tikki Rainbow dress on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rainbow-dress

ImageImage

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Carley, get ya knitting needles out....
OH Manda that is gorgeous!!!! I have Ravelry open in another tab so will print out the pattern, what yarn did you use? And did you have to alter the pattern for knitting it in cotton?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:12 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Wow , that is so cute. Would love to see a pic of it being modelled.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:11 pm
Site Admin

I used Utiku Peoni Rose for the bodice and Utiku Watermelon for the skirt from http://www.thewoolcompany.co.nz/Product ... oductId=38 I love the Opal too and the Sunset is pretty nice, I'm using Gelato for the Tikki Oriental Lily dress but not really liking it. I didn't alter it for the cotton but it did turn out a bit bigger than I thought it would. Oh oh oh, one of the TNN (Fi) girls makes and sells wool kits for them dresses, so nice, I think she's only got a couple on Craft fetish at the mo, but she does custom stuff too http://www.craftfetish.co.nz/search.php ... age=1//url
I missed getting a pic of Lols in it today, bum, will work on that one.

ImageImage

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:18 pm
Profile E-mail

that is sooo cute!!! So jeolous of your skills!!! Well done!!

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Manda, how many balls did you need of each one? I am thinking of doing one for Jess in the either 6 or 9mth size and using the opal and ballet for the bodice. How much wool would I need for that?

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:52 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

You won't need more than 5og for the bodice and 150g will be plenty for the dress, that depends on the length. You can only get them in 200g hanks but for $15 thats pretty reasonable considering you pay and average of $5 for a 50g ball of anything else. I'm so jealous, the creche bill was more than I thought so i won't be able to get any for another few weeks :( I gotta get me some more of that opal, it knits up so nicely. Oh well, I've still got some russet and avocado here that I need to make some longies with for Gab, I've been knitting like a demon for Lols, need to make something for my boy (I just don't enjoy knitting legs and arms :twisted: ). There's a new pattern up by Tikki, did ya see it? sooo cute, I'd love to give that a try too. Argh, Ravs not letting me in, just search Tikki, in the patterns and it'll come up, it's a gorgy little apron top.

ETA: Oh here it is - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tropical-lily

ImageImage

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:01 am
Profile E-mail

oh that little apron dress is adorable!! I am with you on the sleeves and legs thing...I hate doing the raglan sleeve ones!! For the life I me I cant figure the darn things out, so I ask Mummy nicely to finish them off for me :lol:

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:45 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Oh it's not the raglan that gets me it's the small circumference knitting, tedious tedious and fiddly, I taught myself magic loop knitting but even then it's a drag, you think it would go quicker but noooooo. Oh and some people don't like whe the colours pool, but I love it, so i get bummed when the colours don't make a pattern :roll:

ImageImage

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:13 pm
Profile E-mail

Hey Manda, how did you get on with the knitting when you started out and were trying to join in the round?? I am struggling as there are only small amount of stitches and its not joining up :evil: could I start it on two needles then once I have more stitches change to the circular? I know it means that I will have seams to deal with at the end but thats no problem.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:51 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

OMG Sis .. you are so clever!!! I might have to raid Lols wardrobe when I come and visit in November!!! I'm sure she's got so many things she would love to hand down to her soon to be here lil cousin!!!

xxx

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:14 am
Site Admin

Julia's Mum wrote:
Hey Manda, how did you get on with the knitting when you started out and were trying to join in the round?? I am struggling as there are only small amount of stitches and its not joining up :evil: could I start it on two needles then once I have more stitches change to the circular? I know it means that I will have seams to deal with at the end but thats no problem.

What size circ are you using? 40cm is just enough for a smaller size, but i imagine you're doing a little one, you could start on 2 needles, orrrr, can you teach yourself to knit on 2 circs? or magic loop, it's really easy, 2 circs is easier than magic loop, bum, should've done this when you were up here. Seriously, I thought it would be tricky, but it's sooo easy. Magic loop you need a 100cm circ, knitting on 2 circs you need any length just the same size. I know there's some you tube vids somewhere, you want me to find the links?

ImageImage

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:56 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Sassy Shells wrote:
OMG Sis .. you are so clever!!! I might have to raid Lols wardrobe when I come and visit in November!!! I'm sure she's got so many things she would love to hand down to her soon to be here lil cousin!!!

xxx

Meh, not clever, it's just a bit of knitting and purling on circular knitting needels, you should see some of the stuff the girls on Ravelry churn out, I'm small fry compared to them, you should start knitting sis :wink: , you can definitley have a rummage in Lols wardrobe, but you might get a liddle knitted package anyway :wink: not heaps cause I'm no speed knitter, but cute though.

ImageImage

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:59 am
Profile E-mail

Thanks Manda, might have a rummage through my needles and see if I have another set of circs. as I tried the magic loop one and for the life of me I couldnt get the darned thing to join up nicely, maybe my needle isnt long enough?...anyhoo, best get a move on, still ahve to finish painting the cot so should do that before I start knitting really.

this is the wool I am using, I got the rainbow colour #2020 for the skirt and #1025 for the bodice
http://www.patons.biz/Colour_range.asp?yarnid=29

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:43 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Yup, magic loop definitly needs at least 100cm, 2 circs is even easier though.
Have you seen these, I'm going to slowely build up my collection, I only have 3 tip sets so far and 3 cables, they are sooooo nice to knit with: http://shop.vintagepurls.co.nz/knitting ... at_19.html

ImageImage

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:57 pm
Profile E-mail

OH, i can't wait!!!! Will get Mikes parents on the look out for the post!
I can knit scarves ... thats as far as my talent goes ... you got all those genes!
x

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:52 am

Hey Shells

Manda certainly didn't get all the talent.....from what I've seen you do, you have plenty of talent there just waiting to be tapped! BTW, I think this talent skipped the generation, I'm sure it has come to you both from my mum.

Love & hugs
Mum xox

Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:47 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

well here it is...the finished product

Jess's rainbow dress

I am now starting some legwarmers for her :D

Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:47 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Oh cutie, noice, I've just finsihed my third rainbow dress :lol: , the last one is too big in the bodice, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about it. I could leave it till she grows into it but I'm so impatient, I'm thinking of trying to pull the seams at the shoulders together a bit (hard to explain). The dress bit id fine. Now I'm gonna start another one :lol:

ImageImage

Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

There's this one too: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kaia-babydoll

ImageImage

Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:59 pm
Profile E-mail

oh Manda that is a cutie!!! Have added it to the ever growing list of things to knit. :lol:

Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:56 pm
Profile E-mail WWW