It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:09 am

Taylor's Birth Story 

Post Taylor's Birth Story
Hi all
I finally got round to typing up Taylor's birth story ..... for those who want/ like the nitty-gritties of it all ... happy reading!

The start of Taylor’s arrival really began a week and a half earlier when I was admitted to hospital at just over 36 weeks. This admission was always in the birth plan so that I could be regularly monitored in the last couple of weeks of pregnancy and to also ensure that I was close at hand should we have another rapid labour. The plan was to induce me at 38 weeks if I didn’t go into labour by myself before this. In addition to this, I contracted gestational diabetes late in the pregnancy, which I had to take insulin for. So the admission to hospital became a necessary precaution.

The time in hospital went fairly fast and I was fortunate to have a really nice room mate, Julie. We hit it off straight away and have formed a very good friendship from our shared hospital stay. Julie had a wee boy, Connor a few days before me but due to having a c-section and a complication where she temporarily lost feeling in her leg, she wasn’t discharged until the day we went home.

Late on Sunday, 8th, 3 days after being admitted I experienced some fairly regularly tightenings quite low down in my pelvis which were around 12 minutes apart. I started to feel very anxious and called the hospital midwife who checked baby’s heart beat (which was fine) and gave me a hot towel to ease the discomfort. She suggested that we wait and see what they did over the next hour – but in the meantime I feel asleep. By morning they had disappeared completely.

Early on Sunday morning, 15th March I woke to some definite tightenings. I lay there and monitored them myself for around an hour and they were definitely more obvious than the ones I had experienced the previous Sunday and were around 8 minutes apart. I called the hospital midwife who put on a heartbeat and contraction monitor which showed that there was some definite activity. The contractions weren’t painful, but I was definitely aware of them. She called the Birthing Suite Registrar who came up to examine me – finding that I was 5 cm dilated! At this point I started to feel anxious and quickly made a call to Craig at 2:40am to get himself in there! The hospital midwife then made a call to Liz, our own midwife to come in.

Shortly after that they wheeled me in my bed into the elevator and down to the 3rd floor. I was starting to feel extremely anxious and couldn’t stop shaking – the memory of what happened with Liam flooding back into my mind quite vividly.

It wasn’t long before Liz arrived and followed shortly after by Craig and Mum. The contractions hadn’t really intensified – although they were coming quite regularly. When asked to rate my pain from 1-10, they were around 5 – so quite bearable.

At 3:15am Liz broke my waters and I was very relieved to hear that they were pink in colour (not meconium stained as with Liam). My contractions remained mild but more regular. It was very bazaar and a total contrast to Liam’s rapid arrival as we sat around and waited in the birthing suite for things to reeve up for around an hour.

At around 4:20am baby decided to wake up and as she began moving around, my contractions began to get more uncomfortable. I had the aid of gas, but managed the pain effectively for a while by using visualization techniques. I would close my eyes as I felt the contraction start and rather than fight the pain, just went with it and tried to think of some of the lovely beaches we have holidayed at.

By around 5am I started to feel a slight pushing sensation. I was 8 cm dilated at this stage. Liz then decided to do an internal examination and help ease the cervix over baby’s head. The pain of this sent me through the roof and contractions came fast and were extremely painful. I was very thankful of the gas by this stage and although I don’t think I actually got much gas at the time, it felt like more of a comfort blanket then anything. At the same time that this was happening I started to get cramp in my left leg, caused by baby pressing down on a nerve. I remember thinking that the pain in my leg was worse than the contractions. There was nothing I could do to ease it. Mum and Craig tried to push my toes back and massage my leg, but nothing worked.

The pain of the cramp made focusing on my pushing with each contraction very hard as it kept on distracting me. Once baby’s head was out, Liz asked me to just push slowly a few times – I was later to learn that baby’s cord was around her neck and had to be eased over her body. Thankfully when that was done I was able to push her out and the joy of hearing her first cries was music to my ears.

Taylor Mackenzie Nissen was born at 5:48am and lifted on to my tummy while Craig cut the cord.

I held her there for quite some time while birthing the placenta and it was the most wonderful feeling in the world.

A pediatrician was present at the birth, but as he could see straight away that Taylor was well and healthy, there was no need for him to do anything more.

I put Taylor to my breast around 6:30am and was amazed that she just seemed to know what to do and started to suckle almost straight away.

By 7:50am I was up and into the shower and transferred to the Maternity Ward by 8:30am. I had been moved into a corner single room and it was absolutely beautiful – overlooking Hagley Park and quite a bit bigger than the other single rooms. It also had a nice window seat which was great for all our visitors!

Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:00 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Taylor's Birth Story
Oh Tanya...that is a beautiful birth story, one which I am sure that Taylor will love to read when she is grown up. And not too graphic either BTW :D

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:56 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Taylor's Birth Story
Just a beautiful story....ouchies about the leg cramp!
Thanks for sharing I love birth stories

ImageImage
http://lynne1.wordpress.com/

Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:01 pm