It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:05 am

Loralei's birth and first 2 days...(long) 
Site Admin

Post Loralei's birth and first 2 days...(long)
And now I can finally post here. Thank you all so much for your well wishes. I'm not really sure where to start..... How about this, we are so much in love with our little girl, I can't take my eyes off her, well, except now when I'm writing about her. She's all bundled up in her bassinette at the moment but I'm not sure for how much longer so I'm rushing through thise, apologies if it's a bit all over te place and filled with mispellings.
As you have all heard, labour took a long time to establish, I was induced at 9am Monday 1st May and we all very much expected her to arrive before midnight, but, she had other plans. After 2 lots of gel, only just having my waters broken (after 1 failed attempt) 2 goes at a cyntocin drip (the first made her heartrate drop so had to be abandoned) the second round worked, oh boy did it work. Labour was finally established at 2.30am, 1st stage lasted almost 2 hours, 35 minutes of pushing, 4.55am she arrived, that screaming was music to my ears (she has got a set of lungs on her that would impress paverotti). 3475 grams, or 7lbs 11ozs, she is every bit the beauty her big sister was. My second night in hospital Loralei began to go through what I was told was a feeding frenzy (I've never heard of it till then, but since I have had alot of people saying 'oh yeah'. anyone had any experieces with this??????). Anyway, I had no idea what was happening, all she would do was scream, all wanted was to feed, my boobs were getting more and more painful and as they say breastfeeding shouldn't be painful, I was worried I was doing it wrong, and as I couldn't settle her I began to think I was already failing. At around 2 am I had my first cry as I had to let the midwife take her for a walk which made me feel hopeless ( I hadn't slept in over 36hours). After she told me this was a feeding frenzy and Loralei was only trying to get my milk to come in and it was normal, I was a different person, I rsighned my self to the fact that I wouldn't be sleeping that night and paced the halls, a little dopey, but feeling fantastic. I decided that the hospital wasn't the best place for us as information and help was sadly lacking (mostly in the daytime midwives, they seemed to busy to help and we're almost out the door before they we're in, so we came home on day 3. My milk has since come in and she's feeding like a dream. Oh, somebodys stirring, almost feeding time so I'll leave it there for now. Coreys sorting out all the computor files at the moment and organising all the photos taken so far, so will post some shortly.

ImageImage

Last edited by TrinityClair on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 05, 2006 11:50 am
Profile E-mail

Maya did the whole feeding frenzy thing too, it is a bit freaky, I didn't understand why she was crying all the time and just wanted to suck. But it worked and my milk came in on day 2.

One thing I found helped with sore nipples from feeding was Purelan cream, it's quite expensive but my midwife gave me a sample which was plenty, and it helped them to heal.

www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mayadavis
www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/gremlins

Fri May 05, 2006 11:54 am
Site Admin

Thanks Emma, I managed to wrangle 5 of those samples, a bit naughty I know, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do huh? I'm confused as to why I wasn't told about the possibilty of a feeding frenzy, it is really scary until you know whats happening and it seems like such a simple thing to let people know about.

ImageImage

Fri May 05, 2006 11:57 am
Profile E-mail

Yay for free samples! I stayed at Birthcare after Maya was born and went home with a heap of nappies and pads too...

I have never heard it called a "feeding frenzy" before, but the midwife just explainedto me that most babies usually sleep for the first 24 hours or so after birth and feed infrequently, then they wake up and they are STARVING! And apparently it's a biological thing too - because they need to suck frequently and often to bring the milk in. That's why Mum's of premies often find their milk comes in late - because the baby can't suck enough to bring it in.

www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mayadavis
www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/gremlins

Fri May 05, 2006 1:16 pm

Fantastic news that you are home safely Manda. It sounds like you and Corey are doing a great job and just taking each day as it comes.

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see more cute pics of little Loralei.

Claire :)

Fri May 05, 2006 1:38 pm

I'm so happy you're all home now and that everything is going well.
Unfortunately I have no idea about the feeding frenzy, never experienced it with Tylar or I don't remember and Kairyn was not well enough and was fed through a tube, but will keep it mind for next time :)

I'm so looking forward to seeing you and meeting little Loralei.

Take care
Jacqui

p.s. Isn't it a wonderful feeling? :D

Image Image

Fri May 05, 2006 3:30 pm

I am so happy for you both. I am glad everything has turned out wonderfully and I really look forward to more pics of your beautiful girl.
Jenn

ImageImage

Fri May 05, 2006 7:03 pm
Site Admin

Jacqui, yes, it's an awesome feeling, I feel in no way like I'm replacing Trinity, but I've decided I'm glad her birthday isn't far away so it almost ensures I don't become so engrossed in Loralei that I feel like I'm 'neglegting' Trinitys memory, if thats even possible. It's strange, I felt today feelings similar to after I had Trinity, an overwhelming sence if disbelief that we created this little miracle. In fact alot of the feelings, sounds and smells etc of having Loralei were the same as having Trinity, which was a little confusing becasue they are all things that I associated with losing a baby, I don't know if that makes any sense, it's difficult to explain.
I'm tired but at he same time I'm wide awake, I'm sore but at the same time I feel fantastic. Loralei will never take the place of Trinity or never mend the huge hole she left, but she has bought me back to life.

ImageImage

Fri May 05, 2006 7:58 pm
Profile E-mail

I know exactly what you mean Manda, it's such an emotional time (good and bad or should I say sad) even now 3 months on, but I think for those of us with angels it will always be like that in some way.

Image Image

Fri May 05, 2006 8:16 pm

Great to be home isn't it! I'm so happy for you both! Congratulations once again to you both. Sounds like you did a great job Amanda

~*Mummy to now SIX angels ~ I miss you my babies ~

Fri May 05, 2006 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail

Welcome Home Manda and loralei, I am so happy for you and Corey.

Big hugs

Kim

Sat May 06, 2006 12:56 pm
Profile YIM

Welcome home Amanda and I hope everything just goes easily and joyfully for you all as Lorelei starts to grow.

It will be at least nine months till i am doing what you are doing now and BRING IT ON I say!!

Thinking of you,

Melanie

Sat May 06, 2006 9:53 pm

Jenn

ImageImage

Sun May 07, 2006 12:34 am

Congratulations Manda on you lil' Loralei.
Our girls are not even 24 hours apart in age...hehe
I am glad that you have her safely at home and are enjoying her, all besides this feeding thing..Myself have never heard of it but hey lots I have never heard of.
Can not wait to see pictures, there are no doubt some up already i just have not got that far on the threads??
Well take care and look after you too!
Huggles to you all. It is a moment to be so very proud of...warm fuzzies!!!

Wed May 10, 2006 6:30 pm
Profile WWW