It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:21 am

surgery 

Post surgery
Well Little Brady never made it to see the pediatrician for his 1 month checkup. He was projectile vomiting so much thursday night that josh and I had to take him to the emergency room because he was dehydrating fast.

They did an ultrasound of his belly and found out he had pyloric stenosis (the muscle at the bottom of his stomach leading to the small intestine had pretty much closed off). So all of his formula feeds would just sit in his stomach unable to go anywhere and he would forcefully vomit. It usually happens around 3-4 weeks after the baby is born and noone really knows why it happens. For some reason the muscle just gets overworked and it enlarges closing off the stomach.

Our hospital in town here had Brady rushed off to a children's hospital 45 minutes away. Brady underwent surgery on his stomach to open that little area this past saturday. The surgery only lasted an hour (one of the longest hours of my life I might add) and Brady did just fine. We are now home after being in the hospital for 3 nights and little Brady is eating just as he was prior to all this happening.

I was never so happy as when we all walked in our backdoor to our house. We were all so very uncomfortable at the hospital....I've been sleeping on 2 chairs for the past 3 days, and Josh sleeping on a makeshift couch.

We are all looking forward to getting a good night's sleep in our own beds tonight....even ally is (she stayed with my parents while we were in the hospital).

They say that pyloric stenosis usually affects the firstborn male, but we're not sure if TJ would of had it or not. If josh and I go on to have another boy, the chances are very high that that child would get it also. But like I said....it was very easily repaired. TO be honest, Brady doesn't even have an incision....he has 3 little pucture wounds on his belly (they were able to do it laproscopically).

So there's our story for this week......What could possibly be next?????
Bridget

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:34 pm

Oh hugs Bridget - how scary must that have been for you! I was terrified when Sienna had to have her kidney surgery - they are soooo tiny!

Glad to hear that Brady is recovering well now, and that you guys are home. The one thing the surgeon told us after Sienna's surgery is that babies bounce back really quickly which helps.

www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mayadavis
www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/gremlins

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:20 pm

That boy of yours sure is good at keeping you on your toes?! :D

I'm so glad to hear that its all been fixed so easily. My cousin's son had the same and is a very healthy 2 year old now and had no further complications after surgery (she's just had #2 last week so we'll see if he has it too).

I hope you enjoy some rest over the next few days.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Well we had to go back to the surgeons this past week for his 2 week post surgical checkup. We got the all clear. You can barely even tell Brady had surgery at all, the wounds healed so well. He's keeping his formula down and is packing on the pounds. Here's a few pics of my wee man.

Bridget

Attachments:
File comment: just chilling
IMG_0231 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0231 (Medium).JPG [ 40.63 KiB | Viewed 3334 times ]
File comment: brady getting a bath
IMG_0233 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0233 (Medium).JPG [ 33.72 KiB | Viewed 3275 times ]

Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:22 am

Great to hear he is doing so well, excellent news :jumping:

Image Image

Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:25 pm

What a cute lil boy!!! Glad that he is recovering well, poor lil precious and poor you having to go through it all too.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:05 pm
Profile WWW

Pleased to hear he is doing so well. Amazing how well they start growing when they feel better

ImageImage
http://lynne1.wordpress.com/

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:06 am