It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:21 am

Feeling quite anxious 

Post Feeling quite anxious
Well we went for the anatomy scan on Tuesday. Thankfully baby is fully developed and everything looks fine and healthy. The radiologist said that baby is a bit small for dates though, about 4 days behind my due date. 4 days doesn't sound like much but DH and I have been freaking out ever since because this is exactly what happened with Maria - at our 20 week scan she was 8 days too small, and then she died 2 weeks later with no warning.

I know that worrying about it is not going to help, and I also know that nothing can be done at this early stage. It's a horrible feeling and I am full of dread that this baby is also going to suddenly die. I don't want to spend the next 21 weeks feeling like this. I am seeing my midwife tomorrow morning so will have a good chat to her about it and hopefully she can put my mind at rest. And maybe I need to eat more in the meantime.

The one slightly amusing thing that happened at the scan was that we had decided that this time we would find out the sex (we hadn't with the previous 2). But baby didn't want us to know because s/he kept either turning away from us or crossing legs every time the radiologist tried to look!

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:31 pm

Alana, I am sure that everything will be OK, but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I know how hard this must be not knowing if anything is wrong, and feeling helpless.

ImageImage

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:22 am

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling anxious at the moment. It must be so hard for you especially coming up to the time when you lost Maria. I know as I edged past my "line" I felt some relief, but it is never the same.

I too am measuring a few days out for my scans with this baby (as like last time although we never got to the 12 week scan then) and although I know that there is a large variance on baby size and measurment accuracy, I wonder why sometimes. My boys were always big for their dates - like a week or more ahead so I am hoping this little person will catch up soon. I guess I too need to have faith and believe.

I am thinking of you today and hoping that your mw offers you the reassurance you need.

(((((BIG HUGS)))))

Claire :)

Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:47 am

Alana, Maya was measuring 6 days out the whole way thru and we were a bit worried, but she ended up being born at 38 weeks (by scan dates, 39 by my dates) weighing 9lb1oz, so being out by a few days doesn't have to be a bad thing.

I hope you midwife was able to reassure you some, we are keeping you and bubs in our thoughts.

www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mayadavis
www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/gremlins

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:43 pm

Am hoping that the midwife has put your mind at ease a bit, Are you having another scan soon?
Worth asking if just to ease you again.

Thinking of you hun, it is not an easy time.
Big HUGS

Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:23 am
Profile WWW

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, we have been away on holiday. Basically the midwife said that I am actually measuring large and have nothing to worry about.. and also radiologists often like to fiddle with due dates for no good reason. In fact the letter that was faxed through to her said that my due date was correct, so there you go. The technician should have kept her mouth shut. I found her to be quite blunt in her manner and she was not sympathetic to the fact that we had lost our last baby. It was the first time we'd been to this place and the only reason why we went there was because they do free 4D scanning.

So I have felt much better since then. I am still obsessing every day over feeling movement but I guess that's how things are going to be. I have my next scan in about 3 weeks and I will be going back to the other place where I've had my previous scans, they are much nicer there and I trust them more. Hopefully the baby won't be determined to keep its gender a secret till it's born!

Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:05 pm

Awesome to hear you are feeling better about it all. I know how you feel some people are so uncaring. Cant wait to hear more on your next scan.

Huggles

Kim

Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:41 pm
Profile YIM

Alana - It is really great that you are feeling more at ease.

I don't know whether you remember but I had a bit of a scare with "a small for dates" scan at the beggining of my pg. Well, interestingly enough, when I next saw my mw she showed me the radiologist's report and it said that my EDD was 100% correct and never mentioned any concern at the measurements. Sounds like the same sort of thing as you - oh and BTW we also changed scan venues so that we had a sonographer with a nicer manner, it does make a difference.

Best of luck with your next scan and I hope you had a nice holiday.

Claire :D

Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:47 pm

I'm sorry you had an uncaring sonographer - a friend of mine had a similar experience, was even told that they couldn't tell her baby's sex because she was too fat! How horrible!

Glad to hear your midwife is happy tho, and that you are feeling reassured!

www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mayadavis
www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/gremlins

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:51 pm