It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Cloth Nappy Discussion :knit: 

Very nice! And of course the super-cute model makes them look even better!

www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mayadavis
www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/gremlins

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:27 pm

OMG! I take a week off and look what you guys do? :D :D A whole thread about cloth nappies!

Cloth nappies - my most favourite subject :lol:

Manda - your sewing is fantastic, I'm very impressed.

Kim - I have a nappy here for your wee man, just hope it fits (mediums already? :shock: what have you been feeding him? :wink:). I'll post it this week, though I just found out that my friend Sheryl (Shortly from TNN) posted something to you yesturday and I totally missed out on popping it in with her stuff.

I've been doing lots of nappy sewing here over the last few weeks as I have finally bought myself an overlocker. Craig daren't put anything down for 5 mins for fear that I might overlock it! Also some friends of mine from TNN have been getting together to learn how to knit, so we can make cute little soakers. Its just been so busy around here that I have been seriously restricted on my internet time :cry: .

I'm also starting to get lots of inquiries about my hire kits and even have a demonstration to give on Saturday to a 1st time mum to be. Very exciting.

Here are some pics of my nappy kits and wee Angus wearing a way cute cover.

Attachments:
DSC02079.JPG
DSC02079.JPG [ 59.99 KiB | Viewed 9807 times ]
DSC02077.JPG
DSC02077.JPG [ 59.79 KiB | Viewed 9806 times ]
DSC02070.JPG
DSC02070.JPG [ 60.46 KiB | Viewed 9733 times ]

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Lizzie, he still fits smalls, mediums are a little big but i didnt see the point in getting smalls when I would have to get mediums so soon after.

Wow Your hire kit looks awesome.

Kim

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:55 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

They look great, do you make your own wipes? What do you use as absorbancy (microfibre?). Are you into mama pads, I'm considering making some, microfibre for absorbancy in those too? I'll probably ask around on TNN too.

ImageImage

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:22 am
Profile E-mail

Hi Manda - yes I do make my own wipes and each kit has a stack of about 20. Most are two layers of flannel, though some are made from double thickness baby muslin and some have one layer of sherpa and one of flannel. Whatever I have lying around really.

Nope don't think I'll get into Mama pads...........I havn't used pads since my early teens and I really don't want to again. I have put my orders in for a Mooncup for Christmas from DH, thought I'd be brave and try one. Havn't yet had my AF since Angus was born, so I might be waiting a while before I get to use it.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:11 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I was considering a moon cup, it's just the cost factor for me at the mo, might look at one for next year, I like the idea though. TMI I haven't used tampons since before I got pg the first time (mc), I don't know why, I've just never got back to usig them.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post a pic of my nappies, these are just the ones I've made (excluding one that was precut and sent to me from a TNNer), I've also got 3 AIOs and another 3 pockets, so my stash is growning.

ImageImage

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:52 am
Profile E-mail

I have a friend using the Mama pads and she reckons they are great. I just don't know if I could cope with reusable sanitary pads tho. Don't know why, it's not like it's any different to using cloth naps, I just have a mental block on them? It took me 8 mths after Maya to brave tampons again but might be a bit braver this time...

Manda do you want me to order the overnap fabric from green beans or is it easier if I just DC the money to your account and then you order it with your next order? The rose pink is cool, so is the hot pink. And how much would I need? And how much aplix? Or are snaps better? The ones I have are aplix.

www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mayadavis
www.babiesonline.com/babies/g/gremlins

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:11 pm
Site Admin

I'm not sure how much fabric you would need as I haven't made overnaps before, tho I don't think they'd be much different or any more difficult than pockets (and they're easy). I'll print out a pattern from TNN to give me a rough idea. Snaps or aplix, I can do either, alot of people prefer snaps because they don't pick up the lint/hair/strands etc and don't catch on other things, I have some hot pink aplix here, if you wanted that in another colour you'd need to order it. It's probably easier for you to order from GB and have it sent to me, theres an option for you to do that. I'll pm you once I've had a look at the pattern. How many were you wnating, a couple to start with to try? or more?

ImageImage

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:59 am
Profile E-mail

I haven't really considered using cloth nappies before, the washing puts me off (I have enough trouble keeping up with the normal washing for 4 of us!). But I've been reading this thread with interest! How do you wash/dry them, and how many do you need? Do you use nappy liners? Reusable or flushable?
I am open to being convinced!!

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:16 am
Site Admin

I thought that cloth were the old squares and was also put off by the prospect of extra washing and setting up buckets for soaking every day, blah, then I discovered pocket naps, now I'm hooked.

I'm new to them to but as far as washing goes, you don't need to soak, apparently it just soaks the smell into them, you just shake out the insert and pop them in a dry bucket and thats it for wet one, for dirty ones, 9 times out of 10 the poo just peels off (into the loo), sometimes need a quick rinse then into the dry bucket (or some put them straight into the wash (even with the poo still on if its runny bf poo), then do a rinse cycle, then throw in the normal wash on top if you want to put on a full load, then wash as normal. Hanging them on the line to dry is best as the sun is a natural stain remover (not that I've even had any stains) and bug killer, but I put them in the dryer occasionally. I have soaked mine, but only a few times. Some people use the Canestnen rinse with normal laundry detergent (but you only need to use half the recommended dose of det, so theres a saving right there). You can use liners if you want, I don't as I have no prob giving them a quick rinse. Flushable are ok, but if you want to save more (environment and $$$) then reusable are best. If I'm right, Kim is looking at using microfleece liners (same stuff that pockets are lined with), they are soft on babys bum and easy to clean, you only need to take the liner to the loo not the whole nappy then, did I mention REALLY easy to clean.
AND, they are SOOO much cuter than sposies, espacially for summer when you anly want to put them in a nap.
Hmmm, how many, it depends on how obsessed you get with them and how often you want to wash and if bubs is a heavy wetter, I'm aiming for 15 - 20 mediums because they'll fit Loralei for ages, prob another year at least, some people have more. I read somewhere that each time you use a cloth nappy your saving about 50c, doesn't sound much but it adds up.
Ooo, I'm not sure if you've picked up on the different kinds of nappy, theres a few, I prefer pockets or AIOs (all in ones). Pockets are just that, a pocket in the shape of a nappy that you put an insert for absorbancy into. An AOI is also just that, an all in one, it can be boosted for extra absorbancy if needed, they take a little longer to dry as they are thicker than pockets. Heres a link with a description of the different kinds. http://diapershop.com/glossary.htm

I've gone on and on and on, thats only because I'm a little obsessed at the moment. If you want me to make you a couple to try, let me know. Theres kits you can buy from Greenbeans that are $25 and you can get 4 nappies (excluding inserts, but they're easy) out of it (pretty good considering you can pay up to $35 for a professionally made one.

Jeepers, look at me go, somebody stop me......

If I've given any incorrect info (excluding spelling errors, I'm rushing a bit) then feel free to correct me, but theres the basics.

ImageImage

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I should mention that what convinced me was when I was sitting in the nursery feeding Loralei at those ungodly hours, I would look around her room, and for some reason I'd wonder what would happen if I didn't empty her nappy bin and imagine all the nappies piling up in her room and how quickly it would fill, it made me sick to my stomach. Don't get me wrong, I still use sposies now and then and they definatly have their place, thats just my perspective. I was also thinking of all those nappies we put in nappy bags for disposal, and thought how much longer (as if it doesn't take long enough) they take to decompose. I know my little switch to cloth won't change the world, but I'm glad I've done it, every little bit helps.

ImageImage

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:54 pm
Profile E-mail

Wow Amanda, where were you 2 years ago, when Olivia was a baby, if you had of explained it like that to me, I would have changed for sure. LOL... Sounds so easy. When Cameron (DS12) was a baby I used only cloth nappies Day and Night. The old fashioned way, with plastic over the top. Use to soak in napisan, was so much easier with only 1 baby. Then DD came along 22 months later and I started off with cloths but then got too hard with 2 of them in nappies, so changed to disposable. But wow I wish I had known it was that easy I would have definately put Olivia in them. Man I would hate to imagine how much I have spent (and room I have taken up in the environment) with all the disposables we have used on her.

Keep up the good work you ladies.

Luv Ally

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:28 pm

I too and a newbie to cloth, but am sooo glad I changed, been using them for nearly 3 weeks and in that time Timothy has only been in a sposie once and that was when I wasnt home and mum was to lazy to put a cloth on him.

I think manda said it all. I have bought some microfleece to make into liners, which I still have to do, but till I cut it up i havent been using them.

Kim

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:40 pm
Profile YIM

Yep to everything you said! My washing system is just slightly different in that I use a 'wet bag' to store my naps in and then tip them into the machine everymorning and do a heavy duty cold water wash with 1 tablespoon of ecostore powder and 2tbs of Dettol laundry rinse. I also use biodegradable paper liners so the poo just stays on that and flushes away and mostly I don't need to rinse the naps anymore (since we started solids and the horror BF poo stopped).

We have way too many nappies as its become a bit of an addiction. I probably have about 30 or so different types and about 10 covers. I sew alot of my own but can't help but buy new ones all the time.

Manda, I have only made two covers of my own and I used two layers of polar fleece and used the wee weka side snap pattern only I made it a bit wider through the crutch.

Anyway must dash as I have my first hire kit demo in about 15mins and baby (my model) is still asleep!

Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:49 am
Profile E-mail

OK so you girls convinced me - I've just ordered a DIY kit and hoping it arrives before Christmas so I can spend the holiday at the bach sewing!
You're right, it is mind-boggling working out the different styles of nappies. Can someone tell me what the difference between Lastin pocket nappies and FOE pocket nappies is?

Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:35 pm
Site Admin

Lol, thats what I asked when I first started. Heres the jist as far as I know. You use either or, I use lastin for the leg elastic becasue I've been told it's less likely to deteriorate and braided elastic for the pocket opening. Or you can use FOE (fold over elastic) around the edges and stretch where you need it to stretch IYKWIM. I've ended up making my own pattern (still changing all the time), I took features from other nappies and kind of mixed them all together. I prefer the front snaps (started off on aplix but was convinced to tey the snaps) as opposed to side snaps, but then I've never tried them, I think it's becasue I'm so used to using sposies and thats the style that they are so I've stuck with it. I used the second pattern on TNN as its narrower through the crotch and is nice and trim for daytime, but my pattern is wider through the crotch and I still find it's fine to use during the day, I just don't over stuff it.

ImageImage

Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:37 am
Profile E-mail

Yes I agree Manda, I prefer the front snaps, I have a few with side snaps and they arent as snug as the front snap ones. I too prefer snaps to aplix, but I use my aplix ones once i have used my snap ones.

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:37 pm
Profile YIM

Can we have a pic of Timothy in his new black and white nappy?

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:35 am
Profile E-mail

Yep when he has it on next I will take one for you and also one of the nappies manda made for us.

Thanks heaps Manda they arrived yesterday.

Huggles
Kim

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:17 pm
Profile YIM

I would love to do this - but can't sew - then again - helps if I knew and had a machine!

~*Mummy to now SIX angels ~ I miss you my babies ~

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Timothy and his black and white nappy.
Here he is, I love the nappy, but it only just fit him, so I might be passing it on soonish if anyone is interested in it?

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:32 pm
Profile YIM

~*Mummy to now SIX angels ~ I miss you my babies ~

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:43 pm
Profile E-mail

Kim, it looks fab! I can't believe how big he is though :shock: . I tried that nappy on Angus to check for fit but decided you guys would get more wear out of it. I knew Angus was a skinny boy but wow, that really puts it into perspective, your 3mth old is bigger than my 5mth old! You must be feeding him something real good Kim :D .

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:23 pm
Profile E-mail

lol Yeah I cant believe how big he is either. We went to plunket yesterday and he is now 13lb 9ozs. He is in a size 00.

ARGH my baby is growing up too fast :(

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:14 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

Telly, would you like me to make some for you? At this point I'm sure you understand it wouldn't be till after xmas, but I'd be qiute happy to.

ImageImage

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:08 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next