It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Cloth Nappy Discussion :knit: 
Site Admin

ImageImage

Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:13 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Duh me.....Lisa, if you're interested in the nappies in my post a few posts back, you're welcome to them, I don't want much for them, even less for the velcros (the snaps have literally only been used once or twice). I have 6 velcros (1 green which is the smallest, monkey print, 2 white (one with baby blue fleece the other has blue fleece with cow jumps over the moon print, 1 black with cow print microfleece, & tiger minkee), they all vary slightly in size from a small small to a large small (not quite a medium) in the order listed, and gabes nearly grown out of the biggest ones. The theres the 2 snaps which are a small. You may have a Fat Chops but I've got a thunder thighs :lol:

ImageImage

Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:36 am
Profile E-mail

Okay... I'm a total dunce here when it comes to what you folks are tlaking about with these nappies, maybe someone could put up a list of words that you use, like PUL etc and describe them for the people like me :huh:

Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Tee hee, Carley it is a bit confusing if you've not come across them much before. I got numerous headaches when I first started looking into them.

Ok, so just for starters:

MCN - Modern Cloth nappies (pockets, fitteds, covers, All in Ones (aio), just to name a few).
PUL - Polyurithaine Laminate (sp) - the waterproof outer used for the outside layer of a pocket nappy or an AIO

You could check out The Nappy Network (www.thenappynetwork.org.nz) if you wanted to or we could just keep adding bits here :)

ImageImage

Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:01 pm
Profile E-mail

Cool Manda, thanks i will look at that website, not that I need any nappies yet, just felt like a right dork looking in here and not knowing what everyone was on about hehe. if others want to keep adding that would be great.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:31 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

I think most of us use pocket nappies which have the PUL (as mentioned before) as a waterproof puter layer and microfleece as a staydry inner layer and a pocket opening at the back to insert relavent absobancy to the baby wearng them. Most of my inserts (the absorbancy) are microfiber (different to microfleece which wicks the moisture away) and BKT (burly knit terry (cotton), 1 layer of each overlocked together in 35 x 35 cm squares then trifolded making them a 6 layer insert. You can get inserts in all sorts of shapes and sizes and absorbancies. Some of mine are 2 layers of microfiber (these are nice, just a little fat), I also have a couple of microfiber and hemp (my favs, nice and soft and trim), and a couple of cotton velour towelling and hemp (my least favs - too stiff).

Perhaps some of the others can do a little ditty on their experiences & or what they use.

ImageImage

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:29 am
Profile E-mail

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:34 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I did an education session at our local Parent centre a while back and used Cloth Convert's (a Nappy network lady) 'Evolution of cloth' talk. Here goes with relevent links to pictures of the real thing.

1. It all starts with cotton flats - you know the ones that all our Mum's used with the red/pink stripe. They dry quickly and are relatively absorbant, but require difficult folding, nappy pins, a water proof cover and can be bulky on a small baby.

2. So someone thought they'd make a cotton nappy that was already folded with thicker panels. This was called a 'pre-fold', which only requires some simple folding, comes in a few different sizes, but still needs a water proof cover and a nappy pin or 'snappi' to secure it. They also take a little longer to dry than a flat, and are difficult to use on wriggly babies/toddlers.
http://www.snazzipants.co.nz/ Look under products and then pre-folds.

3. Another clever person decided to make a 'fitted nappy' which is completely shaped and secures with velcro or snaps. This still needs a waterproof cover and because of all the thick absorbant layers they can take a while to dry. http://thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=13

6. So someone else decided to make a fitted nappy with a waterproof outer layer already sewn on. This is called an 'all in one' (AIO) nappy. These are probably the easiest nappy to use, but they take a long time to dry and the absorbancy can't be adjusted. They are also the most expensive type of MCN on the market. http://thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=15

5. Using the fitted nappy shape a 'pocket nappy' was born. This is a waterproof outer with a staydry inner (a layer of cloth that the wee passes through and stays dry against the baby's bum) and a pocket opening where you can place an absorbant layer/s(you can use a cotton flat or pre-fold for this). This means that the absorbant layer can be adjusted to suit the child and for how long the nappy will be worn for (ie overnight) and then is removed for washing and drying, so will dry quickly. http://thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12

And that about covers most of the different kinds of nappies.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:44 pm
Profile E-mail

Cool Lizzie!! thanks heaps for that info. Am storing this all away in my mind for future reference if/when I need it.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:53 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Anyone wanna buy a taggie ball? I'm a bit broke so I'm trying to make a bit of cash so I'm not 100% relying on Corey.

Here's the post I put on TNN, they're not flying out the door as hoped but I'll keep updated as I can whe they sell.

I have now added both scrunchy sound and a bell

Unisex Tiger Minkee - (#1 GONE & #2 ON TM) 2 are 2 panels minkee, 2 panels butter mf (microfleece) & 2 panels black crushed velvet & the other is 3 panels minkee 3 panels mf (#3 GONE). (the photo came out quite bright, but it is the gb butter microfleece).

Boy colours - From top left - (#4) Cheetah Minkee, black velvet & blue mf, (#5 ON TM) 3 panels cheetah minkee & 3 panels blue mf, (#6) 3 panels baby blue blankee minkee 3 panels little additions 'cow jump over the moon fleece', (#7) All baby blue blankee Minkee.

Girl Colours 1 - From top left (#8 ON TM & #9) 3 panels cheetah minkee, 3 panels pink mf, (#10 GONE) Minkee, pink mf & black velvet, (#11) 3 panels Pink spots on choc minkee & pink mf.

Girl colours 2 - (#12 GONE & #13) Citrus sorbet minkee, 2 panels butter mf 2 panels pink mf, (#14) 3 panles butter swirl minkee 3 panels fairy princess little additions mf.

All $15 each free postage.

Have put 3 on Trade Me user name grimtaz, if anyone wants one of them just take off postage cost when paying.

I'm still happy to make bibs and wipes on request and possibly even knitted dishcloths, albeit plain cloths (takes longer to knit designs), might post a pic if I remember. Anything else, well, try me, I might be able to do it, my main handicap is time, but I'll consider almost anything

ImageImage

Last edited by TrinityClair on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:26 pm
Profile E-mail

OMG .. my sister is so talented!!! I hope you sell lots and lots!!!
We just brought our other new nephew (Mikes sisters boy) a taggie ... cost £15!!!!! They are the biggest thing in the UK!!!
Love ya
xxxx

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:31 am
Site Admin

Tee hee thanks sis, talk it up, I usually don't like to rave about stuff I make but these are blimmin cool, I like to sit & squish them myself, which is why I'm a little confused because they're not selling as well as I had hoped :(, I really don't think hey're overpriced, I'm gonna put some bells or crinkles inside so they make noise. If anyone has any ideas as to why nobody seems to want them please tell me (just a note, Lisa likes them :)).
Oh, free postage now :) so just $15 all up, I'm not too keen on lowering the price anymore because they trake alot to cut and pin with the tags, then there's the sewing and stuffing and final stitching. Oh well, we'll see what today brings, I might put them on TM.

ImageImage

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:58 am
Profile E-mail

Hey Manda if I had the need for one I would get one for sure!! They are awesome and you are very talented for making them.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:02 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Yip they are the coolest things evr I know cause Manda had them sitting there the other day and I got Cortie pants an awesome one that I have showed to everyone and I am so buying more once these other babies are here.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I've been asked to put 'noise' in them now, so I'm now on the hunt for bells that ring inside stuffed toys or crinkly paper suff, or tiny rattle thingees.
I sold a whopping 2 of them today, feeling a little hurt by the slow movement, oh well better than non at all, at least there'll be a sloww trickle of $$ coming in for me, which is a good thing since I was naughty and got some fleece off TNN from a place in chch that you can't get up here, shhh, don't tell anyone, at least it was cheap. Now I need to sell more stuff to justify it.

ImageImage

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:20 pm
Profile E-mail

oh babe, they will sell I know they will and I know so many peole about to have babies and I love them to bits so at least you know you will be able to sell more here.
Um things that make noises I will go to Arthers or however I am meant to spell his name and see what I can find that is where I get my things formy teddy bears and they make noise in my bears so will in the balls too.
Ok going to bed like I said.Mwah

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Oh my gosh, I didn't even think that you might put them in your bears, doh, thank you, I think there might be an arthurs in browns bay, it's just a matter of getting there, going to ponder now....

ImageImage

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Okay question time about MCNs. when your babies were born what type of MCN did you use was it a
Pocket?
Prefold?
Fitted?
AIO?
Hehe can ya tell Ive been looking at the snazzipants website??? :rofl:

Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:30 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I tried lots of different kinds on Angus (a friend from antenatal class had a hire kit so we shared). The pockets all leaked liquid BF poo, no matter what brand, they just didn't fit well enough around his skinny legs (and he wasn't a small baby either 8pd4oz). AIO's the same. Fitteds were better but still not poo proof all the time, I think with a cover it helped to seal them better around the legs. Pre-folds were quite good too, either snappied or pad folded in a cover, but still leaked sometimes. Interestingly sposies leaked real bad.

So the moral of my skinny legged baby story is that NOTHING can contain that liquid poo all of the time. I've had some of my hire kit people swearing that they never got leaks so I suppose it depends on the child. And keep it in mind that OSFA does not fit all babies.

Other things you should consider before buying is:
How quickly they dry
Will you be using a dryer
Is money a factor
Is cuteness a factor
Is ease of use a factor
Do you want all the same system/brand from birth to potty
Are you interested in sewing your own

I can set you up with a hire kit if you are interested?

Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:19 pm
Profile E-mail

Lizzie that would be cool!! Can you pm me with all of the details, like whats in the kit etc and cost, maybe you could add some pics to so I know what I'm looking at? I wouldnt make a decision just yet as just have to take it week by week, so when would you need to know by?

Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:22 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Manda are you still making the pocket nappies with the snaps on them? if so I would be interested in buying some off you, just enough to give them a try and see how I like them. I would also need some inserts is it? the things ya stuff in em anyways. What ever you want to ask for them is okay, not too sure how many I would need though... how many would be a good amount to start with?

Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:55 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Manda has just made the coolest Pocket out of some very cool cow (will get ya some in Black next week cause I have to go back to that shop...oh bugger and all...lol) she really should post a photo of it on here, How did it wash up Manda by the way?
We have pockets and prefolds for Cort and Love the pockets to bits! Though have gotten some disposables for the first time this week as he is not well and his poo is liquid and is using about 12 a day!!!

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

No prob Carley, i can make some naps (can prob make some for you too Lisa :)), but not for a good few weeks, till after Loraleis birthday. I've got 3 cakes that weekend (in 2 weeks), as well as Lisas friends slaapsacks and at least 40 SANDS basket liners, as well as hemming curtains.
As we speak I have a bubba not happy with me and Loralei trying to climb out of her high chair.
I haven't been around much lately because I have been mad crazy stoopid busy. We've just changed around our house so the kids have their own rooms, it's still a work in progress and incredibly full on. We did the most of it the weekend just been at the same time I had 4 cakes to ice and MIL was around doing an overhaul on the garden and me and Mum were trapsing around towon picking up bits and bobs.
So, in answer to what Lisa was saying about the cow nappy, yes, totally gorgeous and washed up REALLY well, it actually washed up softer. I'll try and get back later to post pics and pics of the cakes, but don't hold your breath because I have loads of cutting out to do and my nephews birthday (one of the cakes I iced) to go to and more painintg to do.
Also Lisa I have a little confession. We had to go to Manakau to pay for Loraleis new bed so guess where we went :) Although i didn't get any of the black cow stuff, it was tough to resisit, but I found some monkey fleece that i just had to get, so I couldn't justify stretching the budget, although I wouldn't complain if you picked some up (I could sort ya out later) :lol:
Oh dear about Corts runny bum.
Oh jeepers, better go, Loraleis not impressed with me.
BBL (I hope)

ImageImage

Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:39 am
Profile E-mail

I will pick ya up some babe and do not stress about fixing me up you have done more than enough for us that I am sure I can get ya some more cow, besides it is just delish! hehe you sneak getting over that far.

oh and you will got to post a pick of misses new bed!

Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Not so much of a sneak, the kidlets stayed with Daddy and Mum came with me, I couldn't have done the trip on my own, ok maybe I could have but I would have been 10 times as stressed :lol:

ImageImage

Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:15 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next